Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Night of the Hunter (1955)


is a BRILLIANT movie!!! Chilling and Disturbing!!!
The suspense...the battle of good versus evil...the
psychopath creepiness of the preacher portrayed
by Robert Mitchum will keep your eyes glued to the
screen...The Night of the Hunter did not do well at
the box office but is now considered a masterpiece.


While in college many years ago, I took a course called
Understanding Movies. It was invaluable in what it
taught me and I think this film should have been shown
in that class! Stanley Cortez's cinematography was
absolutely stunning!

Robert Mitchum is one of my all-time favourite actors
and his portrayal of Harry Powell is, I think, his finest
performance ever---totally believable. If he wasn't an
actor...

The children in the film have major roles and are truly
magnificent in their performances as well. If you have
not seen this movie, and you like a good thriller, then
I suggest you put this on your to-watch list! And don't
just take my word for it, you can check out the rating
on Rotten Tomatoes by clicking HERE.


1 comment:

Cheryl said...

I do not like suspense. My husband will attest to that. If I had my way I would always skip to the end, 'cause I just can not stand suspense. It does look like some wonderful cinematography, that's for sure.