Friday, August 15, 2008

Remembering Aprons


Received an email forward from my Mom last week about aprons. I have always LOVED aprons. I do not have a huge collection, but in my collection I do have three very important (to me) aprons. The very first apron I ever owned as a child, and one that belonged to each of my Grandmas. The incredible thing about the ones from my Grandmas: they are my two most favourite two colours: red and lime green! I did not pick them. Coincidence? You know me by now---> I think not! Perhaps that is where my love for those colours came from! It's all about the memories and that which links past with present.

The email from my Mom is one that I had seen before several times and enjoyed each time...but this time, for whatever reason, it inspired me. I have been thinking (for quite a few months now due to that whole procrastination thing I've got going on) about sewing aprons myself. Reading that email kicked my butt into action yesterday...I went out and purchased some vintage materials and other bits for adornments and am going to get started. I am visualizing them and am keeping my fingers crossed that they look the same way when they are completed!

Remembering Aprons...
(Author unknown -- received via email)
The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was easier to wash aprons than dresses and they used less material, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven. It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so may purposes!

REMEMBER:
Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.
I feel that there is something just so sad about this, but I am hopeful that it will change back...I think it has already started....aprons are making a comeback...perhaps baking from scratch will too!!!

And for those of you that didn't know:
National Wear Your Apron Day is
~the Monday after Mother's Day~

2 comments:

PaperSunshine said...

That's interesting. I have an apron that I rarely us and now I know why, it isn't big enough! It couldn't wipe dust, be a pot holder or anything so maybe they should make big ol' aprons like they used to instead if these tight little front ones they make now!

DART said...

I agree!

Although I love some of the cute, little ones they do have out there! (Maybe put those on after everything is ready! lol) We'll see how the ones I make turn out, if they are able to be worn with other people around, I'll send ya one! : )